DOWNPOUR DISTRESS Wish I had a camera! I blurted out when I tiptoed from of my uncle's house. Wondering if it was a Kodak moment. No. It was water, water and only water that had engulfed my locality, Dum Dum Park. I had read a lot about Kolkata floods but, this time, I had a real encounter with a similar crisis. Sept 23 (the night before): It had started raining from 6 pm or so. Or rather it was pouring, literally. But, being in a posh media office it was impossible to fathom the severity within closed doors. My parents, by 8 pm, had already alerted that it was getting worse outside. I did not bother much. Work got over at 9 pm when I came out for dinner. Yes, it was raining heavy. I was worried, but little. At 10 pm, I took my office vehicle, a Tata Indica, and headed straight towards my home. I was alone and warned my driver that he can't take the usual route — via Ultadanga— to the destination. But, he claimed to know better. So I abided. As it had had to happen, we ...
Popular posts from this blog
Saraswati Pujo
Idols of Goddess Saraswati up for sale in a market of Kolkata on Friday. We revere her and seek her blessings on this special day of SriPanchami of the Bengali calender of Magh. According to legends, she is also known as Bagh Devi or Veenapani among students. She offers knowledge and intellect to all her believers .
My hostel Three years. That's the time I have spent in my hostel. It's time to wind up from here. The hostel owner is all set to hike the rent, which is a bit too much for me right now. It was the terrace room first. Had fun out there. Perfectly owner's pride and neighbour's envy. As if we not only owned the room but also the terrace. The schorching days of summer were never so bad, as the pleasant nights used to compensate. It was nice bathing in the sun, when winter came. The crushing sound of the fighter planes used to wake me up at nights. But, I enjoyed. But, our good time ended after a theft. We left the room and occupied one of the not-so-good rooms in ground floor. But, my classmates were around. I never realised the change. After few months my room mate and I were the only ones in our batch left in the hostel. Others left. New batch came and then the next. Fresh new faces reminded of my old friends. Now, probably I am too old here. Time to say bye to my good ol...

Comments